The stress of the COVID-19 pandemic can be especially taxing for health care workers, so the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania is offering the following tips to help health care workers unwind and recharge when they are off duty.
- Take care of your body by eating healthy meals, exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep and staying home if you are sick.
- Remember to rest, unwind and do activities that you enjoy during your time off. Keep in touch with family and friends and take a break from media coverage of COVID-19.
- Take care of your gear. Remove scrub attire prior to leaving the hospital and sanitize items that were used while at work, including cell phone, handbag, laptops, and stethoscope.
- Leave your shoes at the door.
- Change your clothes.
- Shower using the hottest water possible.
According to the HAP, some family, friends and others may react negatively to health care workers fearing they have been exposed to the coronavirus.
Health care workers can help ease those fears by reminding people that safe and appropriate precautions are being taken to protect everyone while they are at work.
To help reduce the stigma towards health care workers and others right now due to the coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website has published a guide which can be read here.