Net revenue for Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) in Pennsylvania increased 7.6% in 2022 over 2021, according to the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council (PHc4).
In its Financial Analysis 2022 Volume 2, PHC4 said the net outpatient revenue increased from $1.53 billion in fiscal year 2021 to $1.65 billion in fiscal year 2022.
The report is the second in a three-part series of financial reports PHC4 publishes annually, it said.
“The publication of these findings, alongside the series of financial reporting we produce annually at PHC4 furthers our mission of supporting informed decision making,” said Barry D. Buckingham, executive director at PHC4. “We hope these findings provide beneficial insights into Pennsylvania health care and ASCs for all of our stakeholders.”
PHC4 said there were 296 ASCs licensed in Pennsylvania that operated during at least some portion of fiscal year 2022. There were 291 ASCs operating during the prior year.
This analysis for fiscal year 2022 and the individual ASC data tables in this report are based on data collected from 277 ASCs; nineteen ASCs are not included in this report.
The report highlights include:
- Pennsylvania’s ASCs reported 1.15 million total outpatient visits during fiscal year 2022 and $1.65 billion total net outpatient revenue.
- During fiscal year 2022, the average outpatient revenue per visit was $1,441 for the ASCs.
- The net outpatient revenue for ASCs increased 7.6% from $1.53 billion in fiscal year 2021 to $1.65 billion in fiscal year 2022.
- ASCs performed 1.05 million outpatient procedures in fiscal year 2022, which is a 4.5% increase from the 1.01 million performed in the prior year.
- The total number of outpatient surgical procedures performed during fiscal year 2022 at ASCs represented 23.6% of the total outpatient surgical procedures in Pennsylvania; the remaining 76.4% were performed at general acute care hospitals’ outpatient departments.
The first report released in June 2023 focused on General Acute Care (GAC) hospitals. The third will be released later this year and focuses on non-GAC hospitals (rehabilitation, psychiatric, long-term acute care, and specialty hospitals).