Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Penn State Health completes purchase of Lancaster County medical group

The largest independent physician practice group in Lancaster County will fall under Penn State Health’s umbrella starting this autumn.

East Hempfield Township-based Physicians’ Alliance Ltd., or PAL, has about 120 physicians across 13 locations in Lancaster, Dauphin and York counties.

The practice’s acquisition by Penn State Health, announced earlier this year, has been completed, Penn State officials said in a news release issued Monday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The alliance, which serves about 100,000 patients, will be integrated into the Penn State Health system on Oct. 1.

“The acquisition of PAL practices and providers supports Penn State Health’s goal of ensuring patients in the region are within 10 minutes of a Penn State Health primary care provider and able to stay within the region to receive advanced specialty care,” the news release stated.

Headquartered in Derry Township, Penn State Health System includes several hospitals as well as more than 1,300 physicians and direct care providers at 78 medical office locations.

Forging new collaborations with providers throughout the region was among the goals outlined last year by Penn State Health CEO Dr. A Craig Hillemeier in the wake of a failed merger with Harrisburg-based PinnacleHealth System.

In conjunction with the PAL acquisition, Penn State Health also will complete acquisition of Lancaster-based Central Penn Management Group, which handles finance, human resources and information technology services for all PAL practices, as well as other health care organizations.

Penn State Health currently owns 51 percent of Central Penn Management Group, and will complete the takeover by acquiring the remaining 49 percent.

Roger DuPuis
Roger DuPuis covers Cumberland County, health care, transportation, distribution, energy and environment. Have a tip or question for him? Email him at [email protected].

Business Events

Health Care Update Webinar

Wednesday, May 25, 2022
Health Care Update Webinar

Highmark Webinar

Wednesday, June 08, 2022
Highmark Webinar

Women of Influence

Thursday, June 30, 2022
Women of Influence