While many businesses have been forced to shut down during the COVID-19 pandemic, there are some industries that are in need of extra staff. Many retail, hospitality and restaurant jobs have been particularly hard hit, but there are jobs in health care and critical retail positions at grocery stores, drug stores and even food delivery businesses that need more people now.
The Central Pennsylvania Business Journal is compiling a list of businesses and industries around the region who may be looking to fill jobs at this time. If you have a listing to add, please email Special Products Editor Jennifer Rodgers. (Please note: the number of jobs available may change from the time this list was compiled, April 2, 2020.)
For information on who’s hiring on Linkedin.com look here.
- CVS Health announced plans to immediately hire 50,000 full-time, part-time and temporary workers, including store associates, home delivery drivers, distribution center employees and member/customer service professionals. CVS is also providing eligible employees bonuses up to $500.
- Rite Aid is adding more people in the midst of the pandemic.
- Many jobs, most of which are listed as temporary, are available at Walgreens.
- Amazon announced plans to hire around 100,000 warehouse and delivery workers. According to Amazon’s job website, there are almost 200 jobs listed in Pennsylvania.
- Dollar General: The discount retail chain expects to hire 50,000 new workers by the end of April in response to increased demand from the coronavirus outbreak.
- Dollar Tree, the parent company of Family Dollar, is hiring 25,000 full-time and part-time employees across its retail stores and distribution centers. The company is looking to fill positions for cashiers, stockers, fillers, equipment operators and warehouse associates.
- Walmart announced plans to hire around 150,000 temporary workers. You can find a list of positions in Pennsylvania here. The company notes positions are temporary but could transition to permanent roles. Walmart is currently offering $150 and $300 bonuses to its part-time and full-time employees working to keep the grocery chain stocked.
- Lowes is looking to add 30,000 positions that will be a mix of full-time, part-time, overnight and seasonal roles. The jobs are available for displaced workers and those who are seeking short-term opportunities. The home improvement retailer is also offering special one-time bonuses of $300 for full-time workers and $150 for part-time workers.
- Big Lots is hiring 5,000 workers to keep up with demand.
Grocery and convenience stores:
- Giant Food is looking to fill positions throughout the Central PA region. If you scroll to the bottom of the list of available positions, you can choose from available temporary positions.
- Aldi had a list of nearly 381 positions available in Pennsylvania.
- Weis Markets is actively hiring more people during the pandemic.
- 7-Eleven is looking to fill around 20,000 positions at it stores. You can do a search for specific positions here
- Dominos is looking to hire up to 10,000 employees in roles ranging from pizza makers to delivery drivers to customer service reps. It’s also looking for Class A CDL drivers to ensure its supply chains flow smoothly. Apply at jobs.dominos.com
- Papa John’s announced it’s hiring as many as 20,000 restaurant team members to help support the communities it serves – apply now and start the same day in some restaurant locations
- Pizza Hut is recruiting more than 30,000 employees across the nation and says its new drivers can start working in as little as five hours upon hiring.