The Central Penn Business Journal’s annual Best Places to Work program is arguably one of our favorite nights of the year.
The party-like atmosphere evokes feelings of pride and celebration as 500-some young professionals, mid-level management and seasoned executives mingle to show their individual company spirit.
Each year’s Best Places to Work event is a testament to the necessity of a positive and enriching workplace culture, a topic I have explored deeply through the CPBJ Young Professionals beat. See here, here, here … oh, and here … you get the idea!
This year’s event is coming up on Nov. 29 at the Lancaster County Convention Center.
Here are some trends I rounded up from this year’s class of winners:
- Most of the over 111,000 people employed by the 100 companies on the list are based in Pennsylvania. While some companies have operations outside of the state, especially the large ones (250 employees), the majority of their workforce is right here in the state.
- 27 companies are new to the list this year. Just six applied last year but didn’t make the cut. The rest are brand-new applicants.
- Two companies jumped up a category, meaning they experienced growth in the size of their workforce.
- Just under a third of the companies who made last year’s list improved their rankings in their categories.
- The industry with the largest share of representation on the list is technology, with a total of 15 companies from the small- and medium-sized company categories. Talk about startup culture!
- Other industries that are strongly represented include manufacturing, insurance and accounting and financial services. Manufacturers with less than 120 employees are prevalent on the list, an intriguing statistic, if you ask me.
See the full list of 2018’s Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania here. Recognize any from last year’s list? The final rankings for 2018 will be revealed at the Nov. 29 event.
Interested in learning how your company can become a best place to work? Join us for the Being a Best Place to Work HR Seminar on Nov. 14! Register to attend and learn more here.