Lancaster County brewery brings home silver award in global beer competition
A Lancaster County craft brewery has been honored on an international stage for one of its beers.
Mad Chef Craft Brewing in East Petersburg, which opened in 2015, took home the silver award in the American-style brown ale category at the World Beer Cup for its Mr. Dynamite beer.
The Brewers Association, a Colorado-based trade group for craft brewers that organizes the international event every two years, announced the winners Thursday.
The competition this year featured more than 2,500 breweries and more than 8,200 beers, both records for the event, which is held in conjunction with the Craft Brewers Conference & BrewExpo America.
Of the 2,515 participating breweries, 807 were from outside the United States, representing 66 countries. The beers were evaluated by a panel of 295 judges from 33 countries. Nearly three-quarters of the judges were from outside the U.S.
This event, which is known as the "Olympics of Beer," has 101 beer-style categories. Gold, silver and bronze awards are handed out in each category.
In addition to Mad Chef, 10 other Pennsylvania breweries from eastern and western Pennsylvania won awards. Among them was Easton-based Weyerbacher Brewing Co., which won gold for its Riserva beer in the fruited wood- and barrel-aged sour beer category.
Other Pennsylvania winners include:
- Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant in Media: Bronze for Solzhenitsyn, aged beer category
- Two Rivers Brewing Co.: Gold for Bangor Slate Baltic Porter, Baltic-style porter category
- Free Will Brewing Co.: Silver for Olly, Belgian-style Flanders Oud Bruin or Oud red ale category
- 2SP Brewing Co.: Silver for The Russian, British-style imperial stout category
- Conshohocken Brewing Co.: Silver for Puddlers Row ESB, extra special bitter category
- Sterling Pig Brewery: Silver for Shoat, Kellerbier or Zwickelbier category
- Pennsylvania Brewing Co.: Gold for Penn Gold, Muenchner-style helles category
- Roundabout Brewery: Silver for Heini's Good Cheer, old ale or strong ale category
- Rivertowne Brewing Co.: Bronze for Maxwell's Scottish Ale, Scottish-style ale