Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Vimeo RSS

PUC seeks input on tax law's impact on utilities, ratepayers

By ,
(Photo / )

The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission said last week it is requesting data from certain regulated utilities as it tries to figure out how recent federal tax reforms will affect what homeowners and businesses pay for electricity, natural gas, water and other utility services.

The request for input is the first definitive move by the PUC in the process of determining the effect of a lower corporate tax rate on utilities' bottom lines and, in turn, consumers' bills. The agency also is seeking comments from interested parties.

The state agency began in January to examine the impact of the federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which was signed into law by President Donald Trump in December. The law lowered the corporate federal tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent.

Spurred by the tax cuts, some utilities around the country proposed rate cuts for consumers, the Business Journal reported in January. Pennsylvania companies, however, are waiting for the PUC's word to take any action.

The data requested from utilities is described in detail in a secretarial letter dated February 12. The goal is to determine the scope and method of potential rate adjustments, said PUC press secretary Nils Hagen-Frederiksen.

The comment period will last 25 days from the date of the letter, and the PUC plans to act in as timely a manner as possible to move the analysis process forward after that, according to Hagen-Frederiksen. No other deadlines have been set, he added.

"There's going to be a lot of time needed for our technical staff to digest the feedback," Hagen-Frederiksen said.

The PUC will also examine the effect of the new tax law on telecommunications and other smaller utilities not listed in its initial request.

This story has been updated with comments from Nils Hagen-Frederiksen, PUC press secretary.

Secretarial letter from PUC by Becca Oken-Tatum on Scribd

More From This Industry

Becca Oken-Tatum

Becca Oken-Tatum

Becca Oken-Tatum is the web editor for the Central Penn Business Journal. She also coordinates and writes for CPBJ's monthly Young Professionals e-newsletter. Email her questions, comments and tips at btatum@cpbj.com. Follow her on Twitter at @becca0t.

test

Please note: All comments will be reviewed and may take up to 24 hours to appear on the site.

View Comment Policy

Comments

www.office.com/setup November 23, 2018 10:59 am

www.office.com/setup

APPLE ID RESET November 16, 2018 2:22 am

Apple email support-

These days due to lack of awareness, apple accounts are getting lost and hacked.
f you are also facing troubles regarding lost ID or reset ID then here is the solution.

Did you forgot apple id or havings risks of insecurity?

Softpro services provide all kind of password-related queries for Apple products. With 24x7 online support, they are best apple id reset service providers on board.

[24x7] Toll-Free number: 1844-797-8692

John Smith November 2, 2018 2:58 am

Background Removal Services (BRS) is one of the best Clipping path service provider around the world. We offer our global customers: Raster to Vector Services, Photo Restoration Services Prices, Photo Neck Joint Service, Exposure Color Correction Service, Jewelry Photo, Retouching Services, Photo Color Correction Service, Image Mirror Effect Service, Cheap Retouching Services, Deep Etching Service,

williamsmiths October 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks for sharing such a great information with us. Your Post is very unique and all information is reliable for new readers. Keep it up in future, thanks for sharing such a useful post. Our toll-free number is accessible throughout the day and night for the customer if they face any technical issue in HP PRINTER CUSTOMER SUPPORT Call us +1888-621-0339 HP Printer Customer Support USA HP Printer Customer Support

Charlie Noah October 23, 2018 9:23 am

Hi, I read your post and found it quite interesting. The post you shared is very unique and informative. Thanks for sharing such a useful post.

Visit: office.com/setup |

Visit: office.com/setup

www.office.com/setup October 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Learn, how to download and setup Microsoft office software For Windows and Mac OS PC/Laptop

www.office.com/setup October 16, 2018 1:15 am

Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.
www.office.com/setup
www.office.com/setup

jack smith October 2, 2018 3:26 pm

You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation however I in finding this matter to be really one thing which I feel I might by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very vast for me. I am having a look ahead in your subsequent submit, I will try to get the cling of it!

Regards - www.office.com/setup