Five manufacturing and technology companies from Central Pennsylvania received $425,000 worth of grants from Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Central and Northern Pennsylvania on Dec. 10.
The awards include:
• $100,000 to Better Bowls of Derry Township, Dauphin County. The company creates and markets food for people who suffer from nutrition-related diseases such as diabetes, obesity and allergies.
• $50,000 to American Built Arms Co. of Glen Rock, York County. The company manufactures parts and accessories for the civilian and military firearms market.
• $75,000 to ECKey Corp. of Lancaster. ECKey manufactures access control systems that can be opened using Bluetooth-enabled smartphones.
• $125,000 to International Water Co. of York Township. The company manufactures mobile water purification systems that can be used in remote areas that lack ready sources of clean water.
• $75,000 to Simulation Systems Inc. of Derry Township. The company has designed a surgical simulator for doctors to practice micro-surgical techniques without the use of lab animals.
The awards are part of $1 million that Ben Franklin Technology Partners gave to 13 total companies from around the central part of the state.