There's no doubt about it: It's big business. Manufacturing accounts for 12.3 percent of Pennsylvania's gross state product and nearly 10 percent of its nonfarm employment. Chemical manufacturing alone is a $10.4 billion industry here.
So in honor of National Manufacturing Day, which is today, we take a high-level look at manufacturing in the midstate: its technological history and future, its workforce and development struggles, the ever-changing requirements for its top executives and more.
- Technology bump is affecting manufacturing educators, too
- Machines have replaced some workers, but other manufacturers mix history and innovation
- Manufacturing matters: Charts and statistics
- Who is running the mill today?
- Mantec serves midstate manufacturing businesses
- Editorial: Manufacturing Day highlights strengths, challenges