Harrisburg Area Community College is ranked 60th nationally of nearly 1,200 two-year institutions on number of associate degrees awarded in 2011-12, according to an annual analysis by Community College Week.
The report notes that HACC conferred 2,020 associate degrees during 2011-12. The previous year, HACC conferred 1,847 degrees and was ranked 65th in the nation, according to the magazine's analysis of U.S. Department of Education data.
HACC also ranked among the top 50 two-year institutions for the number of degrees conferred in eight of 20 categories in 2011-12, as follows:
• Business, management, marketing and related support services
• Computer and information sciences and support services
• Criminal justice and corrections
• Health professions and related programs
• Nursing: registered, administration, research and clinical
• Protective services, including Homeland Security, law enforcement, firefighting and related protective services
• Sales (general), merchandising and related marketing operations
"HACC's status nationally is a further reflection of the dedication and hard work of college employees who routinely go beyond the ordinary to help our students achieve their educational goals," said HACC President John J. "Ski" Sygielski.