Contest to invigorate York names five semifinalists
Five projects have been selected as semifinalists in a contest that will award up to $20,000 to fund ideas to invigorate downtown York.
Project proposals for the 2013 YorIt Social Venture Challenge were submitted via online YouTube videos with titles beginning "YorItSV2013."
The semifinalists will now be required to submit a full proposal and be interviewed by YorIt members, who will vote later this spring.
Here's a look at the semifinalists and the videos they submitted:
• Townie1, create 20 websites for 20 small businesses in 20 weeks
• YorShoppes, bring pop-up retail to the city
• CoWork155, assist in establishing a co-working community
• Bring on the Bee, rent a facility for two years to expand a local handcrafting movement that uses repurposed materials
• EPB York, purchase a bike-sharing station to aid the efforts of Eat Play Breathe York
YorIt, an initiative of the York County Community Foundation, is a local membership group aimed at developing leaders of philanthropy who invest their combined giving in social venture projects to foster growth and progress in York County.