HACC VP of Lancaster campus takes top job at West Virginia college
L. Marshall Washington, the vice president of the Lancaster Campus at Harrisburg Area Community College, has been chosen as the next president of New River Community and Technical College in Beckley, W.Va.
New River was founded in 2003 and is independently accredited in 2005 by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. A four-campus college, it enrolled 2,857 students in fall 2012 and serves nine counties.
Washington joined the HACC leadership team in July 2010, and HACC listed these among his accomplishments:
• Developed and established campus planning strategies, resulting in a master plan for buildings and maintenance
• Raised approximately $375,000 in scholarship funds
• Closed the deal to acquire 73 acres of campus property
• Led the successful completion of the campus accreditation process for two occupational programs, nursing and radiography
• Led efforts to increase outreach with the county's growing Latino community (worked with First Thursday Latino, La Academia – the Partnership Charter School and Spanish American Civic Association)
• Led HACC's strategic planning process, connecting Middle States accreditation standards with college strategic priorities.
• Co-facilitated the alumni relations strategic planning process