BAE receives $76M contract for Bradley work

December 21. 2012 11:00AM - Last modified: December 21. 2012 11:20AM

Jim T. Ryan

Defense contractor BAE Systems today received a $76 million contract for work on Bradley Fighting Vehicles at multiple locations around the country, including its factory in York County, according to the U.S. Department of Defense.

The U.S. Army gave London-based BAE the contract to provide technical services in support of Bradleys through Dec. 18, 2015.

The work includes engineering, logistics and field support for the Bradley technology upgrades known as Operation Desert Storm-Situational Awareness kits, said Shannon Booker, a spokeswoman at BAE’s U.S. headquarters in Virginia.

Work on the contract will be performed at the company’s West Manchester Township facility, as well as at facilities in Michigan and California, according to the DOD.

In a related matter, Pennsylvania’s U.S. Sens. Bob Casey and Pat Toomey were part of a bipartisan effort successful in preventing a scheduled production break in Bradleys, an armored personnel carrier used by multiple branches of the military.

The senators secured $140 million in defense spending for the 2013-14 federal fiscal year to keep Bradley production going, John Rizzo, Casey’s press secretary, said this morning. Although the money has been earmarked, it has yet to be appropriated, he said.

Rizzo said the earmark and most recent contract from DOD are not linked, since money the DOD is using for contracts now was previously appropriated.

The senators have been pressing Congress for the three-year Bradley production break to be withdrawn, saying it could jeopardize thousands of jobs around the country, including jobs in York County and those of its suppliers around the state.

 


www.cpbj.com