Sample fresh-pressed vintages during Wine Just off the VineErica Streisfeld
Grape harvest season may be done, but the wine tasting has just begun.
For two weekends, Nov. 10-11 and Nov. 17-18, the newly expanded Mason-Dixon Wine Trail invites you to its wine cellars for a taste of the new wine. This year, your $15 Wine Just Off the Vine ticket will include access to a whopping 23 wineries during all four days of the event, as well as wine tastings, light food items, winemaker presentations, a 10 percent discount on purchases and a collectible wine glass. Designated driver tickets also are available for $5.
Many of the newbie wineries are in Maryland, which sets the scene for some excellent roadtripping. Pack the car with some friends and snacks and prepare to have nothing but a completely divine time sampling wine!
In case you're up to the challenge of all four tasting days, I've mapped out how I would break down the trail into more manageable trips. Make a note that the wineries will only be open noon to 5 p.m., so planning an efficient route is key. Cheers!
Enjoy Gettysburg Gustations
• Reid's Orchard & Winery, 2135 Buchanan Valley Road, Orrtanna, PA
• Hauser Estate Winery, 410 Cashtown Road, Biglerville, PA
• Adams County Winery, 251 Peach Tree Road, Orrtanna, PA
• Detour Winery, 7933 Forest & Stream Club Road, Detour, MD
Get Merry in Maryland
• Royal Rabbit Vineyards, 1090 Jordan Sawmill Road, Parkton, MD
• Basignani Winery, 15722 Falls Road, Sparks, MD
• DeJon Vineyard, 5300 Hydes Road, Hydes, MD
• Boordy Vineyards, 12820 Long Green Pike, Hydes, MD
• Harford Vineyard & Winery, 1311 W. Jarrettsville Road, Forest Hill, MD
• Fiore Winery, 3026 Whiteford Road, Pylesville, MD
Pop a Cork in York
• Hummingbird Ridge Winery, 735 Kise Mill Road, York Haven, PA
• Four Springs Winery, 50 Main St., Seven Valleys, PA
• Logan's View Winery, 8892 Susquehanna Trail South, Loganville, PA
• Seven Valleys Vineyard & Winery, 885 Georges Court, Glen Rock, PA
• Naylor Wine Cellars, 4069 Vineyard Road, Stewartstown, PA
• Allegro Winery, 3475 Sechrist Road, Brogue, PA
• Moon Dancer Vineyard & Winery, 1282 Klines Run Road, Wrightsville, PA
Capitalize on Capital Wines
• Buddy Boy Winery and Vineyards, 111 Barnett Drive, Duncannon, PA
• West Hanover Winery, 7646 Jonestown Road, Harrisburg, PA
• Cullari Vineyards & Winery, 1251 E. Chocolate Ave., Hershey, PA
• The Vineyard at Hershey, 598 Schoolhouse Road, Middletown, PA
• Mt. Hope Winery, 2775 Lebanon Road, Manheim, PA
• Tamanend Winery, 759 Flory Mill Road, Lancaster, PA
Where will you begin your tasting trip?
Erica Streisfeld is the editor for custom publishing at Journal Multimedia, parent company of the Central Penn Business Journal, but she moonlights as a foodie and wino. Many people also know her as founder of the Harrisburg Cupcake Cup, a community cupcake competition that benefits the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, and owner of Little Ditty Pops. Follow her at @HbgFoodandWine.