PBA to hold public hearing on local government problems
A subcommittee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Constitutional Review Commission will hold a public hearing on municipal problems this week.
The hearing will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 5080 Ritter Road in Upper Allen Township.
The Local Government Subcommittee will hear comments on issues such as protecting municipalities, including counties, from unfunded state mandates. And it will hear comments on providing a mechanism for consolidating municipalities, the PBA said.
Speakers who will address the subcommittee include:
- John S. Brenner, director of development, Pennsylvania League of Cities and Municipalities.
- Gerald Cross, executive director, Pennsylvania Economy League.
- Jack Machek, president and CEO, 10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania.
- David M. Sanko, executive director, Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors.
- Speaker to be determined, The League of Women Voters.
The subcommittee is part of the commission the PBA created to review the state's constitution and make recommendations to improve the structure and operation of state government.
The commission's subcommittees, including its judiciary subcommittee, will hold six public hearings throughout the state through June 3.